• question-icon

What causes whitish penile discharge and oral thrush post unprotected sex?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had an unprotected sex with a girl whose status is unknown. We were both drunk and we had sex for 3 times that night. Few days after that, I had a diarrhea. And after 6 daysiI start to have a pain in my testicle, my penis was itchy, and I also noticed some white discharge from penis while I was taking poop. I went to the hospital, did a urine test. It showed some pus in my urine that signifies infection so they put on ciprofloxacin and another antibiotics for about 10 days. The pain did not go away. I went to a clinic have my genital checked he prescribed me azithromycin, and doxycycline. By this time, I have had so much of antibiotics my body is weak and I have been stressed and anxiety level was way high. I was not able to sleep. 17 days after the sex I notice white coating on my tongue and a white pus on my tonsils. This freaked me out and I started googling and a scary word popped up HIV. I went for test right away, did a full course of std and hiv rapid test. Everything came out negative but the chlamydia was positive. I also came to know about window period so I still have this HIV in the back of my head and stressing me out. I went for 4th generation Elisa test on day 24 and day 31 both came out to be negative. But then starting day 30 I start to have pain on my knee and ankles. I still have this oral thrush and white pus on my tonsil. I am still taking medication for chlamydia (doxycycline) twice a day. I m really scared and need some opinion what this could be causing? I m planning to do another 4th generation Elisa test on around day 40.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The risk of getting HIV is very less.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your query and understand the concerns you are worried for.

You had unprotected sex with the girl of unknown HIV status then possibility of getting the infection is there but very less if the status is not known.

Itching and white discharge from penis, oral thrush and white pus on the tonsils may be due to fungal infection or chlamydia. Continue taking medicines as suggested by the doctor and don't get scared.

The other symptoms are due to fear or anxiety of HIV nothing else. Drink plenty of oral fluids for the infection in urine. Take some pain killer for pain in knees or ankles and do hot fomentation there.

You had done all STDs and HIV tests which came out negative except chlamydia then don't worry so much and no need to take stress or tension as the risk of getting HIV in your case is very less.

4th generation HIV test done after 24 and 31 days is considered highly reliable. The window period for HIV varies from 15 days to 3 months so go for repeat test after 3 months to get 100% conclusive result. Be relaxed and move ahead in life.

Do regular yoga and meditation to relieve anxiety and fear of HIV. Make your self busy with work and consider counselling services if needed. For any further you can get back to me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. I m also concerned about herpes 2. I get itching inside the urethra but there is not blisters or whatsoever. I am worried about the internal herpes. Is there any way to know of symptoms before getting serum test because it does not show up in the blood before a month or so. I did the herpes test after 20 days of unprotected sex and it came out to be under the limit. Should I go for another herpes test?
Brief Answer:
Itching inside the urethra is not the symptom of herpes.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Itching inside the urethra is not symptom of herpes it is mostly due to urine infection that you have and the test to herpes after 20 days is also negative so don't get worried and go for more reliable test like virus culture or antigen detection by PCR to get the accurate result. Be relaxed and avoid much stress.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX

4th Generation Elisa Hiv 1&2 ag/ab is not a better result on day 31?

I also have this twitching, tingling, and numbness feeling on my legs, & arms.

For last couple days when I wake up my hand feels numb and weak.

Also, last 3 weeks I haven't slept good. I only sleep 4-5 hrs XXXXXXX I am stressed about this and lately my ankle, and knee joint pain is bothering my sleep.

Do you think twitching and tingling is an early sign of HIV?

And why has my oral thrush and white pus on my tonsil still there? It has been there for 2 weeks now. Please give me some suggestions and help me out here.

Thank you in advance and I really appreciate your help.
Brief Answer:
It is not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back once again.

Twitching, tingling and numbness in legs and arms can be due to some vitamin deficiency so consult physician to isolate the cause and follow treatment regime as per the advice, it will be fine soon.

Oral thrush and white pus in the tonsils will recover with time so don't get worried about that also. Just calm down, avoid excessive stress or tension and take proper sleep for better health.

4th generation Ag/Ab test is highly reliable after 31 days but it is routine protocol to do an HIV test at the end of 3 months to declare some one free from HIV so be relaxed and move ahead in life happily.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist