What causes whitish discharge from penis?
Not likely to be an STD
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
Pertaining to a one time discharge, I would not necessary conclude towards an STD. The most common worry is that of gonorrhea in case of a whitish discharge from the penis. Gonorrhea is accompanied by burning and painful urination with irritation sensation in urethra combined with persistent discharge that doesn't subside till treatment is initiated. The diagnosis gonorrhea is by gram staining followed by culture and sensitivity testing of the urine. The PCR or Polymerase chain reaction test is a highly sensitive test for detecting gonorrhea. If its this single episode then based on clinical clues and history , I would not go for hefty workup. If the discharge recurs or there is associated urethral irritation then PCR can be advised. Azithromycin can be given empirically to treat for Gonorrhea and if there is associated itching /irritation of urethra then antifungals should also be added for candida cover in consult with your doctor.
Wishing you best of health
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
Dr. M.S. Khalil
If you are asymptomatic at the moment then a simple urine routine exam would be enough to probe that single episode of white discharge and urination discomfort. STD workup would be over kill at this juncture.
Let me know if you have any query
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of zits on penis
- What causes whitish discharge from penis when i urinate
- Percocet cause penis discharge
- What cause discharge in penis after passing stool
- What causes thick discharge from penis
- What causes itching penis with awful discharge
- What is the cause of whitish discharge from the penis when deficating
- What is the cause of watery discharge from penis
- What causes white discharge from penis daily
- What causes itching in penis