• question-icon

What causes white vaginal discharge during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I'm 19 week pregnant... From last week im having white discharge... Today I thought of checking the color ... so I inserted finger but I couldn't feel cervix and discharge was very very light yellow in color... do I need worry since I'm unable to cervix and for white discharge
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be vaginal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.

Increased white discharge is common during pregnancy due to increased hormones like progesterone in pregnancy which lead to increased discharge from the cervix and vagina.

However, if the discharge is yellow or greenish and/or associated with itching, then it can be due to infection.

One cannot reach one's cervix by oneself during pregnancy.

I will suggest you consult an OBGYN specialist for proper internal examination, vaginal swab examination and further treatment should be done accordingly.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Feel free to ask further.

Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 47 hours later
Thanks ... How the length of cervix is measured , only with scan or manually it can be checked.

I have another que, Before conceiving I was 68 kg now I'm 72.5 kg... My upper tummy is increasing in round shape rather than lower tummy . is it normal to increase upper tummy... by seeing upper tummy I feel like I'm 6-7 months pregnant
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Transvaginal ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
The length of the cervix can be assessed accurately by a transvaginal ultrasound.
The total fat in the body increases in pregnancy, so fat in upper tummy increases in pregnancy.
There is nothing to worry in it.
Dr Deepti Verma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine