What causes white stool, severe abdominal pain and fever?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My stool today is amost white, I have severe abdominal pain and a fever. Should I go to ER or just my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
better to go to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Normal Colour of the stool is due to Bile salts produced in the liver and stored in Gallbladder.
White coloured stool can be due to Disease of the liver like Cirrhosis, Gall bladder stones,Inflammation of the bile duct etc.
As you are having Abdominal pain long with fever,inflammatory pathology like Sclerosing Cholangitis has to be suspected.
I prefer Ultrasound abdomen, Liver function test ( LFT ) ,Complete Blood Picture (CBP) initially .
Please do not delay.
It is an Emergency. Please go to ER.
Hope I answered your query. If you come back with reports, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery . Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 minutes later
Last October I had both my thyroid and gall bladder taken out. Could that have anything to do with that?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are not related.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
These 2 surgeries are not related to the present condition.
Bile salts can get obstructed due to many causes leading to Abdominal pain, fever and white stool.Commonest is the inflammation of Bile ducts,Cholangitis.
Please go to ER immediately.
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon