What causes white spots on the back of the throat with night sweats?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 15 year old son complained of a sore throat last night. He had some night sweats but no fever that we have recorded. He has red spots and white spots on the back of his throat and is exhausted. Hurts to swallow.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to a bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Sore throat in children can be caused due to some viruses like Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) (causes mono), or some bacteria like Streptococcus (causes Strep throat). Irrespective of the cause, all you need to do is to gurgle with lukewarm water and recovery will occur in a week or so. If bacterial infection is suspected, antibiotics might need to be given.

Please be patient. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D