What causes white spots on penis and smegma build-up under foreskin?

Dr. Sassen S Kwasa

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I have some red spots on my penis head (glans) under my foreskin. Sometimes they disappear sometimes they don't They are absolutely painless and do not itch. I don't experience any symptoms of anything. Sometimes I will get a pasty white build up under my foreskin though. It's painless and has a cheesy smell. I typically notice it if I haven't showered for a few days or taken the time to wash off my penis glans with water. I've read that washing your genitals with soap can be harmful or at least irritate things. The spots I have seem to be multiplying. They do NOT every blister, they are NOT ever raised, they do NOT ever bleed, they are NOT scaly, I'm a huge hypochondriac when it comes to health issues. I mentally drive myself crazy worrying that I have some awful disease that I will never get rid of or die from. I have read several things about different forms of dermatitis and also balinitis and I wonder if I have something similar? I do have some issues with my skin that I believe to be foliculitis because I ofeten get tiny little pimples that fill with white fluid in the hair folicules of my inner and outer thighs and once in a whle down towards my knees. They resmble a very small pimple that get's sore until I pop it. They almost always have a hair sticking straight out of them as well. My father also has ecxema and psoriasis. I have been tested many times for the full spread of STD's/Infections and have always come up clean. I am sexually active with my girlfriend but not half as much as I could be. (Busy schedules leave little to no time) She has never had any issues with STD's either. She hasn't been tested in a while but she has only had sex with me for the past three years. No cheating. I'm not sure what to do about it or if there is anything that can be done. For me it's primarily an embarrassing cosmetic issue since there is never any pain. I wonder if I have herpes or syphilis? That's never shown up on any STD tests ever. I drove myself crazy before I got my results last time and didnt feel much better after I realized that there are so many other men out there who are going thruggh this same thing. I'm 33 years old and uncircumsized. i don't have any know health issues that I am aware of. I have pictures to help you answer my question. I haven't seen a doctor or been tested in a few months but I did do it multiple times and had negative results.
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is an abrasion caused by smegma (pasty white buildup) buildup.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.com. The minutes about washing with soap causing problems should not hinder you from good hygiene. Please note the redness years seeing is a result of smegma buildup which as you may imagine is dead skin and with dead skin with time will start to become infected especially with bacteria and or fungus, That is the smell you get after a few days when you don't shower. Fungus loves warm areas that are moist and smegma provides that micro-environment. Therefore despite treatment with medications such as antibacterial creams and antifungals as long as the smegma and the moist environment exists you will keep having these recurring problems. For some gentlemen this has been reason enough to have circumcision done. It is also scientifically known that circumcised men are less likely to get sexually transmitted diseases. In short I do not believe this is a sexually transmitted disease. This is purely an anatomy problem by the fact that you are not circumcised and therefore do harbor a micro-environment that bacteria and fungus grow and thrive in. I hope this helps. Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 1 hour later
So the red spots don't appear to be leasions to you? But rather abrasions?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think these are lesions secondary to an infectious process.

Detailed Answer:
Abrasion would mean more of friction. However the lesions have been caused by infection fungal or bacterial that have been caused by smegma.
Thank you. I applied some hydrocortizone cream and the spots have faded in color within a few hours. I don't masturbate using lubricant and I'm uncircumsized, can that cause this kind of irritation? I've read quite a bit of other blogs from men with the same issue and doctors replies have suggested that it can. Can you recommend any kind of over the counter ointment or creme that may help the spots disappear? My nerves have settled that it doesn't appear to be any sort of STD. I had the same issue before when I got testing done. A huge XXXXXXX of relief came over me after I found out I was clear of STD's but I'd still like to get the issue to stop if possible. I notice that sometimes ruff sex can cause the entire tip of my penis to be red and sore as well as my partners vagina upon occasion. That always subsides within a day or so and I don't feel irritated after that. As far as the smegma issue, could candida be a cause of that? Perhaps yeast infection or UTI?

Several people have recommended coconut oil be applied to my penis because of it's antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. Do you recommend that?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The spots will clear with time as long as you don't get the lesions again.

Detailed Answer:
The creams will be a temporary fix, keeping the glans clean and dry is the key. Vaseline petroleum jelly is all you need to avoid it getting raw.

Hydrocortisone cream does thin the skin and that could cause you prone to abrasions. Petroleum Jelly is what I would use.

The reason you get red after rough sex is that you have an underlying friable skin, therefore any irritation can cause your glans to become red and sensitive.

No the candida comes because there is smegma, not the other way around, remember, that we shed skin cells, normally externally it is no problem, but after your glans shed its skin/cells, there is no where for it to go and this accumulates and this is the term called smegma. The fact that this area is moist further provides an environment where organisms can grow. So therefore you need to wash daily, pull back your foreskin, wash, apply Vaseline, and maybe if you can two times a day and you will rid yourself of this issue.

Yes if your partner has a yeast infection that it is easy for your to harbor the bacteria of candida in your foreskin.

I would avoid these so called ointments really, they will have irritants that could cause you more harm, this is an area you do not want to get a bad reaction to oils and ingredients found in many lotions.
I don't understand the very first sentence of your last answer. I was under the impression that the spots and/or lesions are the exact same thing. All I have is red spots. So how will the spots go away as long as I don't get the lesions again? Aren't the lesions/spots the same thing? They NEVER blister, raise, bleed, become sore, infect, get scaley, exc... they're completely painless and are only visibly noticeable. I just feel like I'm missing something....?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spots meaning discoloration, and yes they will go away..

Detailed Answer:
The spots are due to the infection, the infection is really called a lesion medically and not really a spot, a spot here meaning there is a color change compared to the surrounding skin area. I guess this may be used synonymously depending on the topic of course. We are talking about the same thing, sorry for the confusion. And yes the spots should not recur or come back as long as you do not get the lesions again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 3 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are very welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your questions and I am glad we got to the "bottom" on the issue. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj