• question-icon

What causes white spots on lower arms, infection on legs and arms?+

Posted on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'm a 67 yo male. Fair skin and with some eczema or psoriasis on legs and some on arms. I don't know if that is relevant.

After sun exposure I get many 2-3mm diameter circular white spots on my lower arms. They are somewhat raised and itch. If I scratch an individual one with my fingernail, the skin comes off & it is red beneath and often bleeds. Any idea>
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
sounds like ringworm

Detailed Answer:
It sounds like you may have gotten the fungal infection called ringworm. I would try using an over the counter antifungal cream called Lamisil (terbinafine) on it twice a day for two weeks.
If it does not resolve then you might want to see your doctor for an opinion about what is causing these rashes.
A biopsy night be required, but I would definitely give it a few weeks with an antifungal cream first
Let me know if you have further questions
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson