What causes white raised bump on my tongue?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 9 Apr 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: HI,

I have a slightly irritated white raised bump about 2 mm in width on my tongue. It may be irritated because I've been poking at it. I have chewed tobacco for 15 years and am freaking out that this may be cancerous. The bump just appeared today. I have a history of canker sores and am just getting over being sick, but this doesn't hurt like a canker sore. I am wondering if this sounds/ looks like an oral cancer symptom?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could you please upload clear images...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting query

I'm sorry! the images posted by you is not very clear, if you could repost clear images, I'll be able to help you better.

Awaiting for your reply...

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 25 minutes later

I just uploaded a new image. Its about as clear as I can get with my phone. I don;t have a camera. Does this help? its just a white bump. It looks like a lie bump but on the side of my tongue and doesn't hurt.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral frictional hyper keratosis of the tongue...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the images

I have gone through the images thoroughly and I am of the opinion that the lesion could be oral frictional hyperkeratosis of the tongue. This happens due to constant irritation of the sharp teeth over the tongue.

Do not worry! There are no visible signs of cancer over the tongue. Consult your dentist for a thorough evaluation and filing of sharp tooth if any.

Drink plenty of warm water and avoid fizzy drinks, hot or chilled food & beverages for few weeks.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 28 minutes later

Just out of curiousity what would be the most common things to look for? I've been worried about it all day.

THanks,

Kris
Brief answer:
Nothing specific – just watch over it

Detailed answer:
Apologies for the late reply.

Well, in many cases oral frictional hyerkeratosis resolves as the causative factors are identified and treated. It is advisable to consult a dentist as suggested earlier to confirm the cause and determine causative factors. Until then just keep a watch on the growth/progress of the bump.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Nothing specific – just watch over it

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for the late reply. Please ignore the above answer which has come as a query to you. That was a technical error. Please see the answer below.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E