question-icon

What causes white looking bubbles in the stool?

Posted on Thu, 17 Jul 2014
Question: I usually have very loose stool movements, but today I noticed a white looking bubbles in my stool. Any idea what this is?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Gases, mucus and stool gets mixed-up

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Very short and specific.
I hope you do not have any other symptoms, as you have not mentioned any.

Well,
I think the Loose stool movements are normal for you.
The white looking bubbles in the stool can be due to the air entrapped in the mucus giving this appearance. This happens as the gas is produced in the large bowel only and maximum of mucus is also produced by the large bowel.
Due to the loose nature of your stool they do get mixed up to give this appearance.

If there are no other symptoms , there is nothing to worry about this.

Please feel free to ask more if you have further query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon