What causes white lines on the finger nails?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have noticed a horizontal white area in the center of my nails and a red line above the half moon. I am not numb or in pain. (I have had breathing problems since May but they can't figure it out. I have had all tests). Is it normal for nails to look like this?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Leuconychia striata most probably

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM....

I read history and saw the photos,after that I could conclude that most probably you may be having leuconychia striata.

Leukonychia striata is a condition in which horizontal white streaks occur on the nail plate. And they are the result of abnormal keratinization of the nail plate.

Exact cause is not known,but following points may be considered...

-The tendency to develop leukonychia striata may be there which is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion.
-vigorous manicuring,
-trauma,
-wide variety of systemic illnesses.

It is found that in many patients there is no obvious cause and the white streaks resolve spontaneously.

In your case the leuconychia striata would have occurred due to multiple systemic diseases you suffer. However, it is not bothersome,so,do not worry. They might clear in few weeks to few months. No particular treatment is needed.

I hope this would have satisfied.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana