What causes white lines on the finger nails?
Leuconychia striata most probably
Welcome to HCM....
I read history and saw the photos,after that I could conclude that most probably you may be having leuconychia striata.
Leukonychia striata is a condition in which horizontal white streaks occur on the nail plate. And they are the result of abnormal keratinization of the nail plate.
Exact cause is not known,but following points may be considered...
-The tendency to develop leukonychia striata may be there which is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion.
-wide variety of systemic illnesses.
It is found that in many patients there is no obvious cause and the white streaks resolve spontaneously.
In your case the leuconychia striata would have occurred due to multiple systemic diseases you suffer. However, it is not bothersome,so,do not worry. They might clear in few weeks to few months. No particular treatment is needed.
I hope this would have satisfied.
Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes uneven nail surface
- What causes thin nails
- What deficiency causes brittle nails
- What causes split nails
- What causes chalky white lines on nails
- What causes nails to curve
- What causes white patches on nails of a kid
- What causes a bruised nail
- Noticed dark lines under finger nails what is causing this
- Flattening of the finger nails causes
- Large, pus filled scarred blisters on buttock, raw patch on vagina, bump...
- Burning and warm skin on left of rib cage, no rash or shingles. What...
- Have itching around neck, ankles and under the head of the penis....
- Skin infection since months, itching only during sweating. Diagnosed to...
- Skin type is oily, want to have fair skin. Which cream shall I use?
- Having uncontrollable sweat in underarms. What to do?
- Diabetic. Have red blotches on legs. Suggest
- Noticed lump in nostril. Report showed moderate leucocytes. What does...
- Having clusters of painful warts on palm. Prescribe medications?
- Have bumps on elbow under skin. Having unusual color. What could this be?