What causes white heads on knees?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 8 year old daughter developed some white heads behind her knee they are not pimples but they are prominent and with white heads. I used benanthen plus but they didn't go away and now it's also showing on the cheek of her bum

Please advise
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Manual extraction followed by electrocauterization

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM.
After review of your question and pictures, it seems your daughter has got Mollusca contagiosa. Mollusca is a viral skin infection where a virus causes pearly white papules with central indentation. The infection is contagious and is very common in children.

As such there is nothing to worry about as there are no other complications associated with mollusca in children.

The best treatment is manual extraction of mollusca with a special extractor followed by cauterization of each lesion with radiocautery. Make sure you get these treatment done with a certified dermatologist only.
In case, she doesn't allow for the procedure, I would suggest pin-point application of a cream/gel containing 5-fluourouracil in 5% concentration in morning and a solution containing 17% salicylic acid and lactic acid at night time on regular basis. Make sure you apply a thin layer of moisturizer(Vaseline) on normal skin around each lesion before application these topical medications.

Avoid scratching/picking of lesions as they are contagious.
Maintain proper hygiene.

Hope this will take care of your issue.
Wish you best of health.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
M.D Dermatology

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari