What causes white heads on groin area resembling molluscum contagiosum?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I had molluscum contagiosum from XXXXXXX 2012 to November 2012 on genitals. Last week I had a whitehead on bikini line that popped on the first try with no blood so I figured it was just a pimple. However, it is still healing and I am now nervous my MC has come back. Would love some advice because I am so paranoid about this. Also have been monogamous the whole time so I'm not sure how I could have contracted it again.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like molluscum

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
It appears like molluscum lesion only but I cannot comment surely because of altered appearance due to popping.
All you can do now is wait for another 3-4 days and see if more lesions errupt because molluscum is very contagious and fast spreading.
In case there occurs some lesions then go for repeat chemical cauterization.
But in case it subsides without any lesion then probably it was a pimple which took extra time in healing.
The reason behind recurring lesions (if at all it is) can be most probably due to a source of infection nearby and the fact that at times virus lies dormant in previous healed lesion and becomes active in periods of stress or ill health.
Local genital hygiene is of Paramount importance in dealing with this.
All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 8 minutes later
How can it lie dormant for a year and a half? I thought if you had no lesions you did not have the virus?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
viruses commonly lie dormant

Detailed Answer:
Hi, this is very peculiar to viruses that they can lie dormant for years togetherwithout symptoms and typically errupt again in periods of stress or illness.
You might have seen people with herpes which commonly occurs on face and errupt time and again on the same part of face in an year or so or even later.
Herpes virus lies dormant in nerves and HPV virus responsible for molluscum lies in skin.
But good thing is that frequency of HPV dormancy is very very less so just wait for a while and see for eruptions.
All the best.
In case you have other questions I will be happy to help.