What causes white granular spots in the throat?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have small white granulars in back of my throat also my throat is slightly red. they dont hurt but i get burnjng sensation there when i eat hot And spicy food. What it could be ?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to acid reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hello

The commonest causes for the granular appearance is chronic sinusitis with infected secretions or acid reflux from the stomach.

Since you get pain while eating spicy food , the likely cause will be acid reflux.

The best treatment is to avoid hot and spicy food, tea and coffee for at least 4 weeks.

In my patients I also start tablet pantoprazole-D 40mg in the morning for 4 weeks. I also advice them to gargle with warm salt water three times a day.

No other medication is required.

Get well soon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 2 hours later
Granular phrayngitis Is it life threating condtion ?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No it is not life threatening

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Please don't worry!! it is not life threatening!! it is easily treatable!! you will be fine

please follow the advice I gave and you will be fine!!

Take care!!
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 14 hours later
Recntly doc advised to check IGE count for allergies which came 920. But i have no symtoms of allergies like snezzing, cold or cough or PND. Do u think allergies can als be the reason ? I have S shaped deviated septum with bony spur on left side also i have siniustis as per scan report.but since my breathing is normal doc said no surgeryhe gave me nasal spary. Docu think i should use that? My main compliant is red throat and sensitivtiy to spicy food.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can cause the granular throat

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes sinusitis can also cause the granular throat. however it will not cause burning sensation or sensitivity to spicy food which is likely to be due to acid reflux.

If you have no nasal obstruction, nasal block, headache or facial pain then you may need surgery for sinuses otherwise you can just take steam in5twice a day.

Get well soon!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy