What causes white frothy mucus in stool?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in GERD
Question: I have been having stomach related problems for couple of weeks now. I find whatever I eat takes a lot of time to digest, doesnt digest well, generates palpable acidity; I end up having a bloated feeling; a lot of gas trouble which is not normal. I have also noticed that lately there is an off white frothy layer accumulated after excretion, in the toilet commode. My friend suspects I might have got some parasitic infection in the stomach, so thought to consult a doctor. Kindly advise. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,you need to consult your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

The history and symptoms are suggestive of acid peptic disease. Because of which you are getting these wired symptoms from last few weeks.

White frothy (Mucus) in stool is produced by the intestines and is naturally present in stool and passing it during bowel movement is a normal process.

If the amount of mucus increases and if it is accompanied by bleeding or other bowel problems like constipation, diarrhea, etc. then you requires a thorough medical checkup.

You may requires investigations like endoscopy and stool examination. So I would suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 18 minutes later
The amount of mucus is definitely more than it used to be, since I started noticing it only lately. There is no bleeding, no constipation; and though on occasion (once in may be couple of days) bowel movement is loose, I don't know if that's diarrhea.

Would there be any preliminary medication that I can try before going for a thorough medical check up? My friend was mentioning his experience with similar symptoms and how he got cured with some antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can follow some remedies at house.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query,

Stool covered in mucus could also be a manifestation of a bacterial infection which will be accompanied loose stools,fever and abdominal pain.

Treatment usually includes self care measures such as drinking plenty of water, eating small meals and eating some salty foods will help to recover from a mild form of the infection within a couple of days.

Antibiotics are prescribed only when the symptoms become severe.

But if you notice the same symptoms frequently and worsening with time, then get yourself diagnosed by a qualified doctor so that you can rule out potential problems and treat them at the earliest.

Thank you.