• question-icon

    What causes white flashes in the peripheral vision area?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have white flashes in my eye. I went to ER and brain scan showed nothing wrong. I went to ophthalmologist I was sent to by the hospital and he said he couldn't see a tear but admitted his office specializes in eye lid surgery and didn't have all of the equipment that most doctors would have. He dilated my eyes and looked in with some heavy duty face glasses. I have a lattice (?) and that is just a discoloration.

Prior to that I had gone for my regular vision screening and the optometrist said I had a hole in that eye above the retina and must have happened with a serious head injury. I went to another optometrist who I had seen for years to ask him why he never told me about the hole. He looked in the eye and told me it was just a discoloration and called it pavement or sand or something like that. The specialist I just went to said he agrees with doctor number 2 that is is a discoloration and called it a lattice. He said I should follow up with the doctor that said it was a hole as he is on my insurance plan..They do have an ophthalmologist . I am so confused. I still have the flashing lights but it isn't there when I close my eyes. I have one floater that I have had for a long time. I feel a little bit of pressure in the eye...the lights are not constant. They can go away but do come back. I have had this for 3 days and am worried. What test should I request to get to the bottom of this.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
See a neutral doctor for a second opinion. Disclose nothing about the hole.

Detailed Answer:

I truly understand when you say you are confused. Even as a physicians, the information doesn’t add up and is more concerning. I will say you should see another doctor and allow for examination alone to hear what he says. Only bring up this discussion on possibilities suggested by other doctors at the end. This is because ducts tend to be influenced by prior knowledge unless they are so convinced the previous information was inaccurate.

In all, see a new ophthalmologist. Only release details on prior findings after he must have stated his. This will help resolve the issues and guide further grounds for evaluation and treatment.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 6252 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Floater

doctor1 MD

What causes bloody urine and white flake like floaters and a slight cloudy appearance. It cam on suddenly yesterday and constantly having to pee...

doctor1 MD

I am a 20 year old female. I have had cloudy urine for the past 3 months. I thought it was just something I ate or drank, but it has not gone away....

doctor1 MD

Have a large floater in left eye and see VERY small specks in vision in bright sunlight

doctor1 MD

At times I have floatys in my vision, 2 toes that have partial feeling loss, and diarrhea off and on after eating. Pre existing conditions are...

doctor1 MD

I have a black spot on the Sclera of my Rt eye. I have had dry eyes , myopia and floaters for sometime. what is this spot? Should I be concerned?...

doctor1 MD

I have been experiencing a ringing mostly in my left ear which has increased in loudness over the past 6 months or so. About a month ago, I...

doctor1 MD

I have lymphocytic colitis and have chronic problems with diarreaha, some skin rashes, stomach distention. I now am dealing with some vision...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

154 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Chobufo Ditah
  • Q - CT scan showed cancer tumor inside liver. Swollen abdomen, little...

  • Q - Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like...

  • Q - Having blood pressure. Taking Sandoz Fenofibrate. Should I go for higher...

  • Q - Severe anal itching and rashes on buttocks. Suggest medication

  • Q - Stomach upset, gas and bloating. What could this be?

  • Q - Can I contract HIV through blowjob?

  • Q - Having swollen testicles. Could this be a sign of cancer?

  • Q - Had rectal prolapse surgery. Should I be concerned of having irregular...

  • Q - What causes numbness in toe?

  • Q - Is Hydrazine sulfate effective for cancer patients suffering from cachexia?