• question-icon

What causes white discoloration of skin in between buttocks?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I already wrote the question on the other page. At the top of my but crack where the slit starts I keep getting real white thick looking skin? Not sure how to describe it. I can scrap it off and it comes right back. If I peel it off its red and sore. Tried soaking in tub and antibvactrial medication on it. Also toe fungus medicine
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mostly Friction Dermatitis in butt Cracks !!

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Mostly Friction Dermatitis in butt Cracks !!

Hi Dear !! Thanks for your query to HCM.
Read and reviewed your query and understood your concerns.
Understanding the Cause of your health issue-

The whiteness seems to be due hyperkeratosis and mild xerosis from unattended butt crack,with chaffing, scaly lesion with sore red base.

The crack in the butt skin leads to subclinical infection and gets fissured in time to come.The exfoliated skin comes out as white scaly chaffing as you said.This is Intertrigo in the butt Crack in the unattended butt crack top.

This is caused from friction dermatosis with hyperkeratosis.With cracks in the skin this can lead to folliculitis from bacterial /yeast and candidial infections.

In your case it needs to be differentiated from psoriasis- and for which you may need second opinion from Dermatologist

Do's -
Don't self medicate yourself as you did.
Consult your family Doctor and or Dermatologist if need be.
Regularly attend to hygiene of the Butt Crack daily with oiling the part daily to take care of the friction dermatitis.
Steroid Cream alone would relieve your skin issue.
IF not relieved, steroid with Antibacterial/ antifungal medicine would help the thing to regress fast.

If it does not help,you should Consult Dermatologist,as other many causes for its recurrence needs to be worked out by proper tests and follow up examinations in your case.

Hope this reply would help you to understand your health issue and plan further treatment with your doctors there.

Welcome for any further query in this regard.

If you are satisfied, express your pleasing excellent comments to rate this reply to boost the morale of the incoming patients.

Would love to help you to resolve your worrying health issue.

Wishing you fast recovery and good health.

Good Day !!

Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon