What causes white coating on tongue?
My tongue does not look healthy. It’s not of normal color and it does not remain so as the day progresses. Soon after starting the day’s work, it starts to grow a white coating due to which I will have a metallic taste in my mouth. It always then remains white and if I have any food or drink in the meantime it looks to get added up on my tongue’s surface and hence adds to my misery. I keep my mouth and teeth absolutely hygienic, use tongue scrappers, floss and everything which is required. I am 29 year old male with no medical history quite normal healthwise.
Sometimes temporary and normal
Not always a white coating on the tongue is a sign of serious disease. If the coat is thin it is normal and non worrisome. If the coat is thick it could be a sign of disease from leukoplakia, thrush and lichen planus. It is normal to have white layer after each meal because if there are irritants in the food that leads to coating on the tongue.
Is the coat thick or thin? Are you able to clean it off with tongue scraper? Do anyone complain about bad breath?
The white patch seems to be the result of too many cells being produced from the lining of the mouth and a protein called keratin being deposited on the tongue.
Please note that too much of oral rinses with mouth wash can lead to white coating. Are you doing so? You should rinse with mouth wash just do it with water alone after each meal, that suffice.
For now I suggest you to rinse mouth with water alone and not mouth wash. Avoid acidic foods, smoke, alcohol which are irritants. Meanwhile observe my questions and answer them in your follow up.
Thanks for your reply, please find my answers below: -
1) Is the coat thick or thin?
Its not too thick but sometimes it gets thick and covers tongue mainly on the deeper side.
2) Are you able to clean it off with tongue scraper?
I try to clean it but it does not come out all of it mostly in the deeper region of my tongue which is not accessible and in that region its more there.
3) Do anyone complain about bad breath?
Yes, I can feel the breath even myself too. But when I use tongue scrapper, even though not all the whiteness comes off, but the breath gets better.
4) Please note that too much of oral rinses with mouth wash can lead to white coating. Are you doing so?
I have tried it earlier but now I have stopped it completely and I try to rinse with plain water itself.
Moreover, the whiteness on my tongue is not temporary and it has been there from my childhood itself, and as I mentioned in my previous discussion that I keep my oral hygiene up to the mark. So I don't think its something that can get cured without doing anything because it has never been off ever so far. Please suggest!
esophageal reflux disease
I think you should get tested for oesophageal reflux disease. You can start with a trial of pantaprazole every morning with 40 mg dose.
You tongue papillae are producing too much secretion. We need to find out the irritant. If it is acid pantaprazole helps.
All of this after a preliminary oral examination by dentist. Only have bland diet for 15 days.
Call me back after 15 days.
1) Shall I take PANTOPRAZOLE after breakfast or on empty stomach. If on empty stomach then after what time shall I take the breakfast.
2) After 15 days which number shall I be calling because I didn't see your contact details anywhere.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes white patches with deep lines on tongue
- What causes sore throat with white tongue
- Cause of dry white tongue
- What causes burning sensation on tongue with white coating
- Homeophatic white tongue causes
- Cause of yellow coated tongue
- Can nyquil cause a white coating on tongue
- White coating on tongue causes duromine
- Cocaine causes white tongue
- What causes white spots on tongue with headache
- Suggest treatment for hernia and tingling senstion
- What causes excessive sweating?
- What causes dark color bleeding after taking unwanted 72?
- Is pachkarma treatment effective in treatment of DVT?
- Does nicotine cause chest pain?
- What causes tremors in hands and dizziness despite having high BP?
- What causes white coating on tongue?
- What causes black specks in stool?
- What does a black spot on palm indicate?
- What causes difficulty walking after having Bactrim DS?