What causes white coating on the tonsils, sore throat and hoarseness?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: need help on treatment of 3 days old tonsillitis
age 29 Yrs male
symptoms:
white coating on swollen tonsils
sore throat
redness looks like ulcers
whole throat is red , voice changed
mild pain but had fever during past nights
self medication : paracetamol and salt water gargles
please help!!!
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably suffering from Tonsilitis and Laryngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

Looking to your symptoms,you are probably suffering from Tonsillitis(Inflammation of the Tonsils) and Laryngitis(Inflammation of the Larynx-Voice Box).

White Coating over the Tonsils is most commonly found during Bacterial infection (Streptococcus).
But it may also be found during other conditions like Diphtheria(another Bacterial infection-but occurs commonly in non-vaccinated people-if you have already taken vaccination in the childhood,then there are less chances),Infectious Mononucleosis(it is a Viral infection-here also except Antibiotics ,the treatment would remain the same as in Bacterial infection).

You may find relief by taking the following medicines:
Oral Antibiotic(like Amoxycillin with Clavulanic acid)
(you will need a prescription for the same from a Doctor),
Analgesic with Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen,
Antacid like Rantac,
Antipyretic like Paracetamol for Fever,
Antihistaminic like Cetrizine,
Multivitamin especially containing Vitamin B complex.

Take following life-style measures:
Do warm saline Gargles.
Continue with the Steam inhalation.
Avoid eating cold,oily and spicy food.
Drink lots of warm fluids.
Take voice rest.Speak only if it is necessary.Don't shout or whisper.Speak in a soft voice after taking deep breath.
Warm turmeric milk will also help you.

After taking the above measures,if your symptoms are not improving after around 2 days,then it would be advisable to consult an Otolaryngologist Doctor.Throat swab for Culture and Antibiotic Sensitivity might be needed to find out the infecting organism and also to which Antibiotics,it is sensitive.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana