What causes white coating on the tongue?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What causes dehydration, white tongue? Is there a cure? is it infectious?

very tired, lays down 4 times a day
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral candidiasis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
White tongue is usually due to fungal infection when white debris deposits. Please send me pictures of your tongue so that I can suggest you better.
Start using hexidine mouth wash daily. Use a good tongue Cleaner.
Also tell me do you have any pain in eating spicy foods? Any chronic disease like diabetes?
Follow up with the required information.

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 6 hours later
With intervenous water the white tongue goes away immediately, the white tongue reappears within 2 hours , what is the cause of the white tongue ?

obviously the white tongue is related to an unknown factor, Why is it causing de hydration?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glossitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query.
You might be having dehydration also. The tongue crusts dry up and don't get cleaned off if the person has dehydration. Tongue dryness is a manifestation of dehydration. Dehydration can be due to many reasons like diabetes or renal dysfunction or electrolyte imbalances.
Drink plenty of water. Avoid aerated drinks or tea and coffee.
Get renal function test, blood electrolyte levels and blood sugar levels done.
Please send me the pictures of your tongue.
Start using hexidine mouth wash daily.
It would be better if I see the pictures before suggesting you further.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy