What causes white bumps on shaft of penis?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am 14 and I have small white bumps on my shaft and balls , I have read they are called " Fordyce spots " is there any way i can get rid of them without surgery ?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No,most options consist in Laser treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear!

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Fordyce spots are visible sebaceous glands that are present in most individuals. They appear on the genitals and in the mouth.They are normal findings and aren't associated with any disease.
Fordyce spots are asymptomatic and don't cause any discomfort so you don't need to worry about them.They don't need treatment.

Generally physicians advise against treatment but if these white spots are for you a big cosmetic problem and you want to get rid of them ,Laser treatment can make Fordyce spots less noticeable.There are no conservative treatments (drugs,creams ) for this.

In my opinion you don't need any treatment ,fordyce spots won't cause you any problem but if you are determined to get rid of them you should consult a dermatologist to discuss the most appropriate option for you.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have other questions.

Dr.Rovena Murati