Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

What causes white bumps on shaft of penis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2013
Answered : 1242 Questions
I am 14 and I have small white bumps on my shaft and balls , I have read they are called " Fordyce spots " is there any way i can get rid of them without surgery ?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No,most options consist in Laser treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear!

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Fordyce spots are visible sebaceous glands that are present in most individuals. They appear on the genitals and in the mouth.They are normal findings and aren't associated with any disease.
Fordyce spots are asymptomatic and don't cause any discomfort so you don't need to worry about them.They don't need treatment.

Generally physicians advise against treatment but if these white spots are for you a big cosmetic problem and you want to get rid of them ,Laser treatment can make Fordyce spots less noticeable.There are no conservative treatments (drugs,creams ) for this.

In my opinion you don't need any treatment ,fordyce spots won't cause you any problem but if you are determined to get rid of them you should consult a dermatologist to discuss the most appropriate option for you.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.
Dr.Rovena Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor