question-icon

What causes white bumps on scrotum?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: I have white bumps on the scrotum--and have had them for many years...Recently one of the bumps has become inflamed and kinda swollen....Very tender..The white puss looking stuff looks like it is about to pop...Do I ER or wait to see my urologist Monday ??

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
They are multiple Sebaceous cysts.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your description, they are multiple Sebaceous cysts. They occur in relation to hairs.
One cyst got infected and inflammed. If there is pus,I prefer to drain the pus and put a dressing.I prescribe Antibiotic like Clindamycin capsule along with anti inflammatory tablet to my patients with similar complaints.
As there is no medical treatment for sebaceous cyst, I prefer to remove them under Anaesthesia once the infection is controlled.
At present, please consult your ER and get the pus drained.
Urologist can be consulted later.
Hope I answered your query.
If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon