• question-icon

What causes white bump on lower lip?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Dental Health
Question: For six weeks, I had what appeared to be a canker sore on the side of my lip. It is on the lower lip, near my chin, on the inside of the right side of my mouth.

At first it looked like a huge whitehead and I tried popping the head a few times. Red, gel, thick consistency came out and then it shrunk a little bit. The white head would disappear but the raised red bump would remain. Over the past six weeks, it has fluctuated between a white head or red bump.

I've tried icing it, popping it and rinsing with salt water. Nothing happens or changes.

Today, I looked at it and noticed two dark spots next to it and I am wondering if it is trapped blood under the surface. I called my PCP and she recommend to go to a dentist (?) to get it looked at.

What kind of proper questions should I ask the dentist and do you have any recommendations about treating this or getting it diagnosed? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to multiple reasons, needs more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTH CARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain it seems that the white head like bump inside the lower lip that is present since 6 weeks can be due to multiple reasons like can be a Hematoma, fibrosed Mucocele, Hemangioma etc..

I would like to know a few more details before I can guide you how to proceed towards treatment..

1.Is the lump painful?
2.When you tried to pop it out red gel like substance came out or was there white discharge also?
3.Do you have a habit of lip biting?
4.Is the lump soft and pliable or is hard?

Please revert back with reply..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 41 minutes later
Hello again,

Thank you for your guidance and here are some more answers for you:

1. The lump is not painful, just more of a nuisance due to its location

2. When I tried to pop it, mainly the red gel substance came out. There was a little white discharge as well, like a pimple.

3. Yes, i have always had a habit of lip biting, yet this has not happened to me before. I did wear Invisalign clear retainers for 10 months but this has not happened to me before. Not sure if there is a connection with my retainers that I wear.

4. The lump appears to be more squishy instead of hard. Very hard to pin down and try to squeeze/pop.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems most probably be Hematoma or Mucocele..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the reply..

As per the answers, the lump can either be a Mucocele or a Hematoma.
But to confirm the exact cause you need to consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and after a clinical examination and investigations like Biopsy [if needed for confirmation] can be done to confirm the cause..

You need not to worry as it does not seems to be anything serious or fatal and will resolve with treatment..

Any further queries are most welcome..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 6 hours later
Just to clarify, is going to a dentist a good first step?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Welcome again..

Yes, consulting a Dentist is appropriate and preferably an Oral Surgeon..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist