What causes whistling sound in the ears?
since many days there is continuous whistling sound in both my ears which is very annoying.
there is also clicking sound which can be heard while opening and closing the jaw.
please twll me sir what to do ?
doctors say it will go by itself.
Steam inhalation can help
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. You have developed tinnitus. Certain viral infections can give rise to such presentations as you have described and your doctor is correct in saying that it would possibly subside on its own. The organ of hearing lies in our inner ear (vestibulocochlear apparatus) and is also associated with the sense of balance. Vestibulocochlear stabilizing agents like cinnarizine or betahistine might be needed. Please discuss with your treating physician whether they would be right for you.
I need to ask you if you have caught a cold. There is a thin tube on each side connecting between the inner throat and the middle ear (Eustachian tubes). The purpose of these tubes is to equalize the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity. Mucus block of these tubes leads to pressure imbalance leading to indirectly affecting the vestibulocochlear apparatus. Steam inhalation should help as water in form of vapor will reach deep inside. It would help in diluting the mucus, thus providing relief.
If it does not subside in 2-4 weeks, an audiometry would need to be done to understand the exact nature of the problem.
Let me know if I could help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes swooshing sounds in left ear
- Whooshing sound in ears what might be causing this
- What causes fizzing sound in ear
- What causes clicking sound in the ear
- What causes a crackling sound in the ear
- What causes squishy sound in ear
- What causes intense pressure and cracking sound in ear
- What causes ear popping sounds
- What is the cause of ear sound
- What causes rumbling sound in ear
- Suggest treatment for severe loose motion
- Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...
- Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain
- Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?
- What causes unusual sweating?
- Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS
- What are the side effects of Superglue injection?
- Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth
- Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?
- Suggest treatment for severe constipation