What causes wheezing, shortness of breath and consistent arrhythmia?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi! I am a medical student and probably over thinking this but wanted to ask someone first. For the past 4 days I have been experiencing very consistent arrhythmias and starting last night and tonight I have been unable to sleep due to wheezing, chest tightness and a bit of shortness of breath that occurs only when I lay down. I have felt exhausted this week and have had to take many naps. My family has a medical history of A fib and I have been diagnosed with sinus node tachycardia. Should I seek immediate attention for this? Or since its been happening for a few days is it more likely I am getting sick.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get evaluated further

Detailed Answer:
Welcome
This is Dr Sameer cardiologist.
First I would tell you that A Fib is not a hereditary disease. It could be due to dilated heart or electrolytes abnormality which can be because of lot of causes.
Being a medical student you yourself can diagnose A Fib. You can feel your pulse. If it is irregularly irregular, it is AF.
But I feel that as you have a respiratory tract infection, which is causing you breathlessness and wheezing is also causing the abnormality in heart beat. I guess it is sinus tachycardia or sinus arrhythmia which is common in this condition.
Still I will advise you to get a ECG and a 2D Echo done to rule out any possibility of abnormality.
Get back to me after the test results.
I hope they come out normal.
Thanks and take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana