• question-icon

What causes wheezing, cough and difficulty in breathing?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Have wheezing, raspy, crackling breathing, coughing up to an hour at a time (often with throwing up). Hard to sleep due to possible fluid in the lungs. On an inhalent ProAir RespiClick andProAir HFA(doesn't seem to give any relief). Have been taking Montelukast 10gm (3 weeks), now Doxycycline Mono 100mg (4 days), as well as Primatene tablets/Bronkaid (to get me through the day).

Just had a check x-ray done, everything is "normal", with the exception of Minimal dextroscoliosis. I requested blood work done as I am anemic, but this is really frustrating...please advise!
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aerosol with steroids may help more

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern

According to the history you provide you have already done a chest X Ray

I would recommend you a hemogram, a CRP and an ESR blood tests too.

These are for detecting any inflammatory bacterial condition even if you are under antibiotics.

It seems to me that you might have a gastric reflux according to the kind of coughing. Probably Omeprzol once orally might help you too.

For the treatment i have a suggestion, better to stop inhalers and to do aerosols/nebulizer with steroids like Budesonide twice for a week and than to return to actual treatment.

Montelucast should be used for three consecutive months .

Please discuss with your doctor for the above

Wishes

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist