What causes wheezing along with fever in a child?

Posted on Mon, 1 Dec 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My son is 10 years old now. He has had viral wheezing for 10 days with first 7 days with fever.
He was started on ventolin, since the wheezing wasn't improved much and was accompanied with fever he was given serrated puff, one spray in the morning and in the evening.
Inspite of which the wheezing and fever continued, so he was given oral corticosteroid for 3 days/once a day, increased does of serrated puff, two puff in the morning and in the evening............and 4 times ventolin..........
Now after 3 days of its use he has got better.
My question is: how bad is this viral wheezing for his health, will he have chances of getting asthma ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It does not lead to increased chance of asthma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

Wheezing is occasionally seen in children suffering from viral respiratory tract infection. It occurs due to airway hyper-reactivity to inflammation caused by virus. This leads on to constriction of airways resulting in wheezing. Isolated episode of wheezing does not increase the chances of getting asthma in future and it does not pose any health hazard to child.
As your son is improving its good indeed.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kaltari
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 40 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you.

He get's quite weak with his viral wheezing and he had this episode 3 months back.
Does he need to be on any special vitamins/medicines to avoid recurring wheezing.
Does that means his immune system is weak ?
He is a lean boy, weighs just 24 kg's , bit low side on the chart but very active, good at studies. Should I be concerned.

Regards.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation will help

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

There is no need to worry and be concerned
I can take the following precautions to boost his immunity and prevent recurrence

1. Steam inhalation : Bedtime for 15 minutes every night

2. Vitamin C rich diet : Supplement his diet with citrus fruits which is rich source of Vitamin C. If available in your country preparation of XXXXXXX Gooseberry like Chyawanprash will be good to boost immunity. XXXXXXX gooseberry is richest dietary source of Vitamin C

Do get back to me anytime you need any further assistance

Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 17 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

Another question related to kids.

My daughter is 4 years and she often complains of pain in the legs mostly in the middle of night, reason ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to low calcium

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

The commonest cause for nocturnal leg pain in children are
1. Low Calcium
2. Exposure to extreme of temperature

I would suggest you the following

1. Oral Calcium and Vitamin D 3 supplements

2. Keep her legs properly covered while she is sleeping at night

Do keep me updated

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply. Can we get them across the counter, I wasn't sure if they had oral calcium and vit D supplemnets for kids, I know there are multivitamins like pentavite stuff. Can you please suggest something that can be used with milk. She loves milk.
Another question: she has been on osmolax ( prescribed by GP) for couple of months now as she was chronically constipated few months back. GP said that she can continue as long as its needed, I would like to know if it has any long terms effect on her health ? I try to give her as much fibre as possible.

Her Medical History ( just to make you aware of): had undergone OHS for VSD when she was 3 months old. Has been diagnosed with Thelarchy.
Brief Answer:
Calcium is available over the counter

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms

Vitamin and calcium supplements are available as over the counter.

Majority of the cause of constipation in children is related to diet factors. Its more common among those children who have the following
1. Diet mainly consists of milk based feeds
2. Decreased intake of water
3. improper weaning diet

I would suggest you the following which will definitely help

1. Reassessment of symptoms by Pediatric Surgeon: Who would like to rule out fissure in anus or Hirschsprung's disease as cause of symptoms
2. Ensuring adequate intake of water: One cup of plain water 1 hour before and one hour after feeds will ensure adequate intake of water which will help in making the consistency of stools soft
3. High fiber diet: 2 serving of vegetable salad and citrus fruits a day will be very helpful in ensuring adequate fiber intake

4. Laxative: Osmolac prescribed by your Physician is safe

5. Proper toilet training

Best Regards
Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon