What causes weight loss while on Elavil and Hydrodiuril?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I am a 49 yr old male. After seeing a doctor for back pain, he prescribed elavil for nerve pain and hydrodiuril for high blood pressure. Now 4 months later, I have gone from 265lbs to 228 lbs without changing my diet. I have noticed for the last 2 months, bubbles in my urine. I am scheduled to see my doctor for a follow up in 2 months. Should I see him sooner on these conditions?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes see doctor as soon as possible

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for your question.
This type of dramatic weight loss is concerning. It could mean that there is something metabolic going on like hyperthyroidism.
We are also always concerned about cancer when someone has a dramatic weight loss without trying to lose weight.
This is complicated by the fact that you are on elavil which usually causes weight gain.
My suggestion is that you see your doctor in the next few days.
I do not know what the bubbles in the urine may represent but you need an exam, blood tests and a urinalysis immediately.
I hope you find the answer soon,
Dr. Robinson