What causes weight loss in infants post phototherapy for neonatal jaundice?
Not adequate gain
Thanks again for writing.
It is normal for babies to lose weight in the first week of life.
If phototherapy had been given for neonatal jaundice then weight loss could be more due to dehydration.
The other reasons could be inadequate milk output in the first few weeks of life. This will improve with continuous breastfeeding.
The weight gain has been less I agree but no need to start any formula just for this.
1. Continue round the clock breastfeeding. The more the baby sucks the more milk output.
2. You need to drink plenty of liquids like milk and juices atleast three litres everyday.
This will improve your hydration bloodsupply to breasts.
3. The vitonova is multivitamin, aristozyme is a digestive thing and vysenorol is iron.
I will advise you to continue two ( except aristozyme which is not helpful and unnecessary, babies digest breastmilk easily).
Wishing you and your baby good health.
should have regained birth weight
Babies should regain birth weight atleast by 15 days.
400 to 450 gram expected in the past 15 days.
Though inadequate I am not saying you need to do anything more than the things mentioned in the earlier answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Neonatal jaundice treatment graph
- Treatment and cure for neonatal jaundice
- Physiological neonatal jaundice causes
- Extreme farsightedness neonatal jaundice
- Diagnosis of physiological neonatal jaundice
- Symptoms of neonatal jaundice
- Diagnosis of neonatal jaundice
- Symptoms of physiological neonatal jaundice
- Silymarin suspension and neonatal jaundice
- Neonatal jaundice causes
- Constant crying baby,not sleeping,given gripe water.Suggestions ?
- Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with...
- Swelling of legs after a drive. Is this normal? Or is it related to...
- 23 days baby is having cold and cough, not able to sleep well. Giving...
- Baby started vomitting and loose motion. Losing weight. Stool test done....
- Baby has low weight, elevated liver enzymes. What does this mean? Usual...
- Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child?
- Child felt warm, given Calpol. Blood test suggested. Appreciate a second...
- Child tightens his hands and jaws, makes grunting sound. Is everything...
- Child getting fever, cough and cold frequently. Constant constipation....