What causes weight loss, body pain, swollen limbs with bumps post flea bite?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my wife feeds stray cats are leftovers now we have around 50 of them living on the back porch and we are infested with fleas. my wife dropped from 130 lbs to a horrific 92 lbs she still has a good appetite she vomits bile 4to 5 times a day, swelling of feet,ankles,calves,knees small red dots leg area shoulders and neck some bumps on her shoulders w/blister crowns. complains of feet,leg and back pain, she takes oxy codone 15 for her back i noticed her memory fading fast. i have same symptoms yet minor and no vomit
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spray DDT in the home and backyard and where the cats live

Detailed Answer:

I have not seen any specific questions posted by you here. I have to give you a generic answer.

Along with treating your wife for various diseases that fleas can spread you have to eradicate the vector, flea from the premises. Hence I suggest you to spray DDT or inform the local vector control body to do the job for you both inside the home and back yard.

Flea causes a lot of diseases including skin manifestations like flea bites, folliculitis. Various diseases the flea can transmit are Murine typhus, plaque, tularemia, tungiasis. The symptoms that you mentioned can be part of the diseases that I mentioned.

Get a comprehensive evaluation done by local Infectious disease specialist. Hope this answers.
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 8 hours later
Dr.parinam what is the cause of the swelling? and why is she vomiting so much bile with little or no food minutes after eating. and sometimes her food stops half way in her throat water is no help this results in more vomiting, any ideas or home remedies outside your medical education would be greatly appreciated also. thankyou. XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 5 days later
Brief Answer:
Flea bite swollen

Detailed Answer:
there is severe gastritis. I guess with all the trauma, infection there is stress on the body. these infections are transmitted thru flea are not native to humans hence a lot of stress.

I suggest a small multiple meal that is bland medium carbo diet.

however a course of antibiotics only after diagnosis.