What causes weight loss and loss of appetite while on Bupropion?

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take 300mg of buproprion daily. one of the side effects is weight loss and loss of appetite, I have lost 30 lbs in the last 3 years without trying .the dr just put me on 50mcg of generic Synthroid rfor sluggish thyroid, do you think one is r esponsible for my chronic fatigue? would you suggest a substitute for bupropirion, I also take generic LEXAPRO FOR DEPRESSION?
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Verenicilline could be substitute drug for bupropion

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I share your concern
Weight loss might be related to bupropion, it may cause loss in appetite, vomiting and abdominal discomfort, but not so significantly. Alternative drug for bupropion could be verenicilline.

Chronic fatigue might be related to hypothyroidism or could be a side effects of lexapro and bupropion.

In my opinion you should modify your diet and lifestyle instead of changing it, since it's a well tolerated drug by you so you need not to change it upon this ground of weight loss.

Please write back to me what all medicines you are taking for heart and since how long
I would you to have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
Exercise regularly
You should do yoga and meditation as well as relaxation exercises.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to ask for follow up
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad