What causes weight gain while on Gemer-P2?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Diabetes
Question: I am taking Gemer P2 morning and evening for last two years. My average weight increased by 10 Kgs and my whole body size increased by 2 inches at Belly. My sugar is in control with 3 month average at 7.1. I have great apatite for food. I got a thorough medical check up and everything is OK including Cardiology.
I approached three doctors to get my medication changed. But they did not do it.
Now I am waiting to see a fourth doctor and have purchased same medicine for 10 more days till then. Is it safe to continue this?
I am 68 years old. I had an Angioplasty in 2008. I am unable to do regular walks or any other exercises. I was heavy smoker earlier, stopped for short periods, started again with limitations, now at thre or four per day.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can safely continue current medications.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

As you are on same medications for 2 years there is no harm to continue same for another 10 days.

I think you are attributing your weight gain to your medications thats why you want to stop it.
This weight gain may or may not be due to medications which requires physical examination.

But considering your blood sugar control over long period (HbA1c f 7.1) these medications can be continued as three doctors already done.

Considering heart status presence of diabetes try to smoking completely.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 2 days later
Dear Doctor,

The tablet Gemer P2 is not available in future. It isbanned by Govt. Only Gemer is available. So what can I do? Get another alternate? Can you please prescribe me any equivalent tablet?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need modification of Anti-diabetic medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Tab Gemer P2 contains Glimepiride 2mg + Metformin 500mg + Pioglitazone 15mg.
Pioglitazone may be banned in your country.

You should take help of your treating doctor regarding same.
Pioglitazone is one of the strong antidiabetic drug, if it is not available in your country there need to modify your treatment as your blood sugar level may rise after stopping pioglitazone.

Alternative medicine should be based on your current blood sugar levels, heart, kidney and liver function.

Considering normal heart, kidney & liver function I may suggest to
- Increase dose of Metformin to 1500 to 2000mg per day in divided dose.
- Continue Glimepiride 2mg twice a day.
- To start DPP4 inhibitor like Sitagliptin or Vildagliptin or Linagliptin.

Hope this helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee