What causes weight gain when suffering from hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism typically cause weight gain of 3-4 kilograms. How ever, in my clinical practice, I have seen many patient who have gained much more than that. Noted the point about your exercise and diet control. Please stay on Armour thyroid if you feel better on it and if TSH is with in normal limit.
If you think that your diet is good and if you do adequate exercise, then we might need to look for alternate causes for weight gain ( or inability to lose weight ). Few hormonal conditions can cause this. Cushing's syndrome is a rare hormonal condition where you can gain weight. This can cause weight gain around the abdomen and you may also develop pinkish stretch marks on abdomen. Do you have any of these?
It may be a good idea to keep a food diary and write down the quantity and type of food including fluids in a day. Do it for a week and after that analyse it. I did this myself once and realized that I eat too much of breakfast cereals and milk. When I cut it down, I lost some weight.
You may also download "CARBS AND CALS" in to your smart phone( available in google play). This will help to calculate the calorie value of each food item what we eat.
Cushing's syndrome is diagnosed by SALIVA, URINE and BLOOD TESTS.
Your doctor need to examine you to look for clues of cushing's syndrome and if present, he may suggest any of these tests. It may be worthwhile in your case to do the test
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tongue changes when suffering from hypothyroidism
- What causes low resting pulse when suffering from hypothyroidism
- What causes pregnancy symptoms when having hypothyroidism
- What causes fainting dry mouth hotness when suffering from hypothyroidism
- What causes shaky handspalpitations and anxiety when suffering from hypothyroidism
- What causes cellulitislynphedema in legsphenigus with hypothyroidism
- What causes perimenopausal symptoms with hypothyroidism
- What causes leg swelling when on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism
- What causes lef swelling when on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism
- Can hypothyroidism cause weight gain and hairfall
- What causes sore throat inspite of having a treated thyroid cancer?
- What does low troponin value indicate?
- What causes extreme body heat with no fever?
- What causes spike in blood sugar level?
- What causes tingling around the mouth and tremor on chin?
- What causes pink blood discharge?
- What causes shortness of breath,confusion and depression when on thyroid...
- Suggest treatment for dry and cracked penis skin
- What does "eGFR is 57,sodium 129 and chloride 90" indicate?
- What causes nausea inspite of having diabetes, acid reflux disease and...