What causes weight gain and change in bowel movements?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am concerned, and am trying to figure out if something is wrong with me? I have recently gained a lot of weight (about 15 lbs in past year - not common for me). My bowl movements have significantly changed (very regular once a day for most of my life (age 50), but recently changed to 3 to 4 times a morning (about 30 minutes apart). Additionally, I am recently having blemishes that stay an abnormally long time (1 month or longer). I'm not really big on going to the doctor. Trying to determine if this is serious or not. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Screen for diabetes, colon tumor, stool exam for infection, diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The recent weight gain and change in bowel movements especially compel me to suggest that you do a fasting blood glucose test. It is important to exclude adult onset diabetes.

It might be important also to check if you have changed environment and your diet lately. It is not rare that change of diet causes frequent bowel movements.

Diarrhoea after the age of 50 warrants your colon to be checked. Doing an occult blood test in stool, and consequently an annual colonoscopy, especially if there is a family history of colon cancer can be useful.

Intestinal infections too can cause increased bowel movements., A simple stool examination and culture can be useful to exclude a possible infectious cause of this change.

I think it is important for you to book an appointment with a doctor.

Thanks and kind regards

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj