• question-icon

What causes weight gain after taking Cortisone shot?

Posted on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a cortizone shot in my knee recently&gained 3lbs.I've read this to be a side effect.How long does the side effect last?How much weight gain on avgerage?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be due to single cortisone shot

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.

A single cortisone shot is not going to cause weight gain. Only repeated or prolonged use of steroids including cortisone causes weight gain.

Most likely your weight gain is due to reduce physical activity as your joints are being affected.
You may get your thyroid tested in case not tested for long.

So, start exercises in accordance with your doctor , which don't affect your joint and control your weight as well.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.

Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Anshul Varshney