What causes weakness with cough while on treatment for hypertension?
Yes - all are drug side effects.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I would like to answer your query.
Looking at your history and symptoms, I am of the opinion that all your symptoms appear to be drug related interactions.
Drug allergies are more pronounced in elderly as they have functional reduction in all the systems. A small reduction, could show as a severe problem in elderly.
Due to polypharmacy in the elderly as they frequently are on mutli-drug treatment, numerous interactions are known to occur. In the present situation, I can explain it as follows:
0. Carbamezipine was removed (suspected cause of low sodium - then blamed on other drug)
1. Anti-Hypertensive drugs -Change in drug occurred from HCTZ ( probably caused low sodium)
2. to lisinopril (led to unrelenting cough as a side effect)
3. to losartan (led to allergic reaction)
All the above drugs are anti-hypertensive and reaction to each in different ways were responsible.
Due to allergic reaction, you are noticing whelps and it will slowly disappear with anti-histaminics treatment.
You may be suffering from other chronic disorders (? diabetes mellitus, age related reduced immunity, recent possible viral infection of respiratory system), which could have led to increased incidence of infections and hence, metabolic acidosis.
Hopefully after all this, your hypertension and sodium level is under control. Try to keep all your chronic disease under control. Avoid too many drugs and especially OTC drugs, which can interact in unpredictable ways.
Hope it helps. Thanks for asking.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes intracranial hypertension
- What is the treatment for uncontrolled hypertension
- What is the treatment for diabetes with hypertension
- What is the treatment for labile hypertension
- Suggest treatment for insomnia caused due to depression and hypertension
- Treatment and cure for causes of hypertension
- What causes hypertension with mirena
- Is ace inhibitor cause for cough in hypertension
- What treatment is suggested for hypertension
- What should be the ayurvedic treatment of hypertension