What causes weakness, lightheadedness, low BP, fatigue and diarrhea?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Mon, 2 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Two weeks ago I had a bout of severe diarrhea. I went to doctor and she prescribed metronidazole and Claforan. I took it for a few days until stool and blood tests came back all negative. I started to feel better. this past week I had kind of relapse: head pressure, a pimple came up on top of my head in scalp very sore, eventually popped, is better now, I have a rash on the head of my penis (yellow mucous) (uncircumcised), I feel weak, light headed, feel faint on occasion. I noticed today I am down in weight by about 6-7 pounds vs normal this has happened in the last 7 days. I feel I have been eating normally, I feel i am properly hydrated. I do have sinus pressure around nose, and in left ear. Went to ENT he checked ears and found nothing. He suggest Eustachian tube blockage. My bowel while better is not totally normal as if feel pressure when food passes through. No temperature (96 its low), blood pressure is slightly low (105/70). Bottom line, feel weak, tired, sleeping a lot.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be due to after effects of previous illness !

Detailed Answer:
Warm welcomes to HCM with thanks for the consultation here at this health forum.

I have thoroughly worked through your case and can well realize your health worries.

It seems that you have got weakness and all the symptoms due to Fluid and Electrolytes imbalance that needs to be tested though. When there is diarrhea and digestive system infection, it very commonly may lead to imbalance of fluid and electrolytes. It causes weakness, unexplained fatigue, feeling unwell etc just to name some. Weight loss may also be associated with digestive tract disorders.

Scalp boil may have been a Follicle infection that also comes in there in states of low immunity. Diabetes mellitus can be an added risk factor. But thank God that is better now.

You need to keep a balanced healthy diet full of whole grain foods, vegetables, salads, fruits, juices and clean drinking water. Avoid excess of caffeinated drinks, chocolates and alcohol. Avoid smoking too.

Rash on Glans seems to be BALANITIS (Physical examination or at least pictures needed though for proper evaluation). If it is glans infection, we usually go for topical ointments like Clotrimazole for fungal infections, ProCort for prompt relief of inflammation and for any itching, Antibiotic ointment according to Culture and Sensitivity test result of that Yellow Mucous discharge you stated about in your query. Your Physician may send a test for Culture and sensitivity of the discharge. Definitive treatmentcan be focused then.

HIV, Diabetes mellitus screening is a key here. I see you had ear issues too. weakened immune system as occurs in these diseases may lead to frequent issues like you are facing (ear and glans symptoms).

Other possible causes of some of your symptoms may be a disease of Thyroid Gland. You need to screen for that too. Your Physician will go for a phsical examination and diagnostics to rule it out.

Right now you need to take PEDIALYTE-The oral rehydration solution that is good for revitalization and to gain energy needed for you right away.
Plus take CITRUCEL DIETARY FIBER SUPPLEMENT with plenty of water to get normal feces and bowel functioning.

Final Suggestion :-
Please consult your Physician in-person to discuss the details as aforementioned. He is the personnel trained to treat such patients successfully based on evidence based medicine.

Hope it helps. Please feel free to ask for any further assistance where needed. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T