What causes weakness in the left arm?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello:

I've been lifting in the gym for about two months. But I noticed that my left arm loses grip and strenght. so if I am lifting a dead lift it feels that at any moment I will drop the weight or a chest press I can't lift my left arm.
My right arm is good and can lift a decent amount of weight but my left seems week.

what can I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to electrolyte imbalance.

Detailed Answer:
A loss of strength in one arm can be due to a mild nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine or due to low levels of magnesium or vitamin D3. You can get your blood levels checked for these and start with proper supplements for an improvement. In case the problem is persistent then do consult a neurologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
I take zinc and magnesium supplements every dsy and multivitamins, also BCAA . I'M only 32 and no health problem
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be nerve related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
In case the electrolyte levels are normal then nerve related cause is likely. Do consult a neurologist to find the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.