question-icon

What causes weakness in spine when diagnosed with chiari 1?

Posted on Sat, 7 May 2016
Question: Concerned as to why my spine shakes a lot, it's more prodominent the morning after drinking, I have recently been diagnosed with Chiari 1, but not sure it's related, I do a lot of stretching to help with my condition but the shaking really gets me down.
I find that my spine is weak when I lean forward to reading or write.
Hope you can help with some advice.
Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Exercise to strengthen spinal musculature.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In your cause, drinking worsens cerebellar symptoms of Chiari I malformation, including imbalance, truncal ataxia and titubation, experienced as spinal column shake, so, there is relation of your concerns with Chiari I malformation.

Certain spine and head positions as bending forward also could worsen Chiari I symptoms.

Advice in your case include avoiding worsening factors, such alcohol, bad position, exercise to strengthen cervical musculature, and, of course, clinical and imaging follow up.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical