What causes weakness in legs and bladder dysfunction while treating paraplegia?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am male paraplegia patient 54 bedridden for the past 2 years. I am slightly recovered up to 25% but cannot stand or walk. I am using catheter to pass urine. Otherwise urine will not come out. I am in XXXXXXX Please help me
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Slow recovery would occur with physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist and would try my best to help you.

Paraplegia causes weakness of both legs, along with loss of sensations, and bladder dysfunction.

Muscle power in legs would continue to improve slowly with physiotherapy and exercises.

Regarding urine problem, what you are doing is correct. In some people, supra-pubic cystostomy is done (where a permanent catheter is placed in bladder by making a small hole in lower abdomen).

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 39 hours later
Doctor sir, I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX male. 54. Suffering from paraplegia for the past two years and having inserted urine catheter inserted in my penis for the past two years.

Now my penis torn out for almost one and half inch and also Infected and hence local doctor has advised me such a procedure given you.

How long will it require to stay in hospital for such treatment I.e. fixing supra pubic catheter. How long should I be in rest after that treatment. Will it be advantageous in comparison to penis catheter. Can I get bath after such extra hole procedure or will it become infectitious frequently. Should I take regular anti septic medicine for it. Can I get urinary sensation in course of time due to physio therapy and pass urine through penis. (Earlier I could not push/give pressure to discharge motion for about seven months but later got such capacity). Can I do walking practice after that procedure. In what way it will affect or better than the present penis catheter. Doctor sir, please advise me in detail. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
SPC is a safe procedure

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

SPC is a safe procedure and can be done in less than one hour. You can be discharged home on same day. You can safely move around and do physiotherapy/walking procedure after the procedure also. You can take bath. Sensation may come slowly with time. There is mild risk of infection but can be prevented by maintaining hygienic precautions.

Penis catheter carries a higher risk of infection than SPC.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Doctor sir, thank you for your reply. please let me know how long should I take bedrest after that spc and if there is any antiseptic pills required to be taken every day. Thank you doctor sir
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
One day rest is enough.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

One day rest is sufficient after the SPC procedure.

Antibiotics may be given for 24-48 hours during the procedure.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)