What causes weakness in legs after taking Epidural Steroid injection?

Posted on Wed, 13 Jan 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had epudural last fri for back pain and now legs feel weak shaky although l walk dont enjoy it is this XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Legs weakness is not normal after epidural injection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Leg(s) weakness after epidural injections is not a normal finding.

Although very rare, complications such spinal cord or nerve root injury, hematoma and even air bubbles inside the spinal cord can cause weakness.

In my opinion, it is necessary to be evaluated neurologically by a Neurologist or by your treating Doctor.

If doubts arise about spinal cord compression after neurological examination, imaging studies are needed too.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 39 minutes later
This has only happened past couple of days had this orocedure many times first time happened
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Since there is your first time that you experienced legs weakness after epidural injections, this is a reason in favor to a neurological examination and maybe imaging of your lumbar spine.

My opinion is still in favor of a clinical examination as the first step.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical