What causes weakness, fever and drop in platelet count?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have Sjogrens . My platelets r usually low at 120,000-125,000. This week I had weakness And low grade fever ( 99.5-99.7 rectal thermometer . During the time I felt sick I had blood work and platelets came back as 105,000. Never been that low before . I don't have hepatitis , HIV or MOno . Can run of the mill virus cause this
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sjogrens Syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, yes it is a high possibility the episode of viral fever caused a bit of dip in the platelets. It is a common phenomenon seen with all the viral infections. It transiently lowers the platelets for a few days and then they revert back to their baseline. But we do need to keep a watch on it, so to be sure it hasnt triggered the activity of Sjogrens.

At this stage, I would say there is nothing to worry about... Repeat your platelets after 3 days and then again after a week to see the pattern, if they are falling or they are stable...

They are still in a safe range and would cause no harm.

Hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries

Dr Naval