What causes weakness and tingling sensation in the left arm?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello

For some unknown reason my left arm has become weak and is becoming more num and tingling. It started a few days ago. I'm 34 years old and fairly healthy. It's not a stroke as I tried FAST (face, arms, speech, tongue) and everything seems fine. I didn't injure it or pull a muscle. I am under a little bit extra stress this week but nothing else. What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need cervical spine X-ray or MRI and nerve conduction studies

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be due to nerve entrapment like in cervical spondylosis and may need cervical Xrays or MRi to look for any signs of nerve roots compression due to disc prolapse or bulge pressing the nerve or narrowing of disc spaces in cervical spine.

However detailed neurological examination should be repeated by a neurologist to look for any other type of neuropathy or focal neurological deficiit as though typical stroke signs are absent but it's still possible to have some minor blood vessel issue with in the brain causing such weakness in a single limb and if so it may need to have a diffusion weighted MRI brain.

Getting levels of B12 and folic acid may also be needed and replacement can be started even before that. Using gabapentin for tingling sensations may help.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 44 minutes later
If I take aspirin for a few days and if there is no change, will this rule out any possible blood clots in my brain?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it will not

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. No using it for few days may not rule out possibility because it takes days and weeks to work and mainly help formation of new clots and isn't thromolytic therapy or doesn't dissolve the formed clots quickly. Also that symptoms can occur due to compromised blood supply in any of the small vessels and symptoms depend that whether the damage is reversible with resumption of blood supply as in transit ischemia attacks but can also be some minor stroke where damage to some neurons has occurred and it may take weeks for other parts to take up it's functions but all these are possibilities so far and should be worked up first. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D