question-icon

What causes weakness and diarrhea after taking KCL?

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015
Question: I WAS TAKING POTASSIUM BICARBONATE EFFER K 25 MEQ AND IT WAS DISCONTINUED. I AM NOW TAKING POTASSIUM CL 10 MEQ PER CAPSULE 2 C CAPSULES 3 TIMES A DAY. I AM HAVING A FEELING OF WEAKNESS AND SOME DIAHRREA.
Answered by Kathy Shattler (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I have reviewed your case and understand your concern

Detailed Answer:
First, I hope you are taking these under the prescription of a physician. Potassium plays an important role in the heart and heart rhythm.

You are asking if the potassium chloride (KCL) might be responsible for your weakness and diarrhea. The side-effects of KCL are potential nausea, diarrhea but the drug itself should not cause excessive fatigue if your blood potassium is within range. Have you had your blood levels checked/electrolytes also since you started the KCL? If not, having your electrolyte levels checked may provide answers to your feeling of weakness.

Are you checking on the equality of the dosage of potassium? Potassium Bicarbonate contains 25 meq of Potassium
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist