What causes weak legs and difficulty in walking?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: Recent weakness in legs. 75y old male. Play Squash used to run 12 miles a week. Having difficult standing up an too often stumble even while walking slowly on say the pavement. Wad to give up running.
What can I expect in terms of running again and strengthen leg muscles?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to nerve root compression.

Detailed Answer:
It seems you are suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis. The weakness in the legs is due to minor nerve root compression at the spinal cord.
Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem.
Do consult an orthopedician for investigations like MRI scan and further treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal