• question-icon

What causes watery stool and vomiting of milk in an infant?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

Good afternoon, Actually I am enquiring for my baby. She is currently:
- Passing liquid motion thrice a day. (Earlier it used to be a day).
- Omitting milk very frequently.

I am a bit worried about her, but unable understand whether it is a sign of diarrhea or dehydration.
I am observing those symptoms from last few days. Even though all her expression seems to be normal.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Let me assure you that breast milk is the best feed for a baby and its production is dependent on the demand of the baby. Breast milk also takes care of immunity against common ailments like cough and cold, and diarrhea. So, automatically your worries would be reduced. For a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. It is normal and not a cause for concern. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate.

You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken in would escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe. Unless proper burping is done, the child may regurgitate out a portion of the milk taken.

Let me know if you have further queries. If the child is active and fine you need not worry.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician