What causes watery green stool while on Cefpodoxime and Cefixime for pneumonia?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi
Sir my son aged 7 months have been reported with pneumonic effect and have been prescribed cefpodoxime and cefixine for five days. Now this is his 4th day with the treatment and he is passing watery green stools back from yesterday; now the doctor prescribed gramogyl oral suspension for the condition.
I ' am all confused with such medications as a 7 month baby is small enough for these dosages; will this upset his stomach or health?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Arun 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes appropriate

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Based on your description I would like to suggest that the stools color and description warrant appropriate treatment, which your doctor has rightly prescribed ( for infection).
You need to continue medicines as advised as pneumonia will require proper treatment with antibiotics.
No harm will be done with these medicines even if he is very young, as benefits outweigh risks.
Followup closely with your doctor.
It won't upset his health.
Do not alter or change medicines.
Dr Arun

Follow-up: What causes watery green stool while on Cefpodoxime and Cefixime for pneumonia? 1 hour later
Thanx sir,
so how long should we continue with the treatment for pneumonia 5 dyz , 10 or 15 ?
can both ceprodoxime and cefixime both be given in combination?

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yes as decided by response

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can give both as prescribed.
Usually treatment is for 10 days. But depends on clinical response as judged by your doctor in follow up Examinations.