What causes watery eyes in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor,
my son is 2.5 months old. His left eye waters a lot. Also, collection of sticky residue forms on his left eye every day. We clean it with warm water whenever we notice it.
Any medical attention required
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to nasolacrymal duct

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I want to let you know that the tears drain through nasolacrymal ducts that open inside our nose. In case of babies, these ducts often take time to develop or may even get blocked. You need to gently massage with the tip of a finger, stroking downward from the inner angle of the eye to the ala of the nose. This has to be done for a few times multiple times a day regularly. The ducts would soon open up and the watering will go away. No medical attention required.

Let me know if I could help further.