What causes wart-like bumps on scrotum and around anus?

Dermatologist
Question
I recently found some large wart-like bumps on my scroutum and arround my anus. I showed a friend who is a med student and he said that they appear to be molluscum contagiosum but he wasnt sure. are these molluscum and if they are how can I go about removing them without having to make an appointment with a dermatologist?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum

Detailed Answer:

I read history and saw photos.Your friend who is a medical student is right. You seem to have molluscum contagiosum. It is a viral infection caused by pox virius. There may be multiple whitish,umbilicated,pearl like papules. It is a chronic infection and may persist for few months to few years. It is a contagious disease.

You consult dermatologist. Thorough examination and investigations may be done by him. Other diseases like HIV should be ruled out. In some cases, doctors do not treat as selfhealing may be there in few months. But I always insist for the immediate treatment,as it might spread further in patient as well as in other family members.

There are many treatment options.It may be removed by electrocautery under local anaesthesia. Cryotherapy and laser therapy are another methods. Chemicals like salicylic acid 12% may be applied on the lesions. I usually prefer electrocautery in my patients having such disease.Treatment should be aimed to prevent further transmission and autoinoculation.

I hope this would be helpful to you. Still, any query..you may ask.

Thanks and have early recovery.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD