question-icon

What causes walking difficulty and radiating pain in hips and legs while walking?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: After sitting on the bed with my feet up , I go to get up and I have pain in my right hip that radiates down my leg and it takes me a little while to be able to walk. What could be going on?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Appears to be osteoarthritis of the right hip.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. I can think of two possibilities based on your symptoms.

a. Osteoarthritis of right hip
b. Sciatica.

2. If you are able to bend, with your legs straight without a shooting pain in the lower back, then you do not have Sciatica.

3. It could be osteoarthritis of right hip. Initial movement will be painful and slowly improves. X-ray of the right hip can confirm the diagnosis.

4. Meet your doctor to get an X-ray of the right hip. For now, ibuprofen and heat application at site will be useful.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist