What causes vomiting while on Doxycycline?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My daughter was prescribed both Amoxycillin Clavinate and Doxycycline Hyclate for an armpit skin infection at a clinic. I am not sure why both because it seems like overkill for the infection, which was not tested for anything (just a visual). She has taken both for 2 days, but cannot tolerate the Doxycycline without vomiting, even when taking after food and trying other things to prevent nausea. If she discontinues the Doxycycline but continues the Amox, will there be any harm? I know that you are not supposed to stop an antibiotic until the full course has been taken.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
The combination of antibiotics will have a rationale behind it, hence the treating doctor would have prescribed them. Abrupt stoppage of any antibiotic is known to cause antibiotic resistance apart from improper curing of present skin infection.
Since vomiting is the predominant side effect, I recommend you to give her an anti emetic tablet like metaclopramide or ondansetron, which are available over the counter along with esmaperazole, a proton pump inhibitor which reduces acid secretion and in turn vomiting, There by making doxycyline tolerable.
If not, you can consult the treating doctor and ask for an alternative antibiotic, since I don't know the rationale behind such prescription, I am not in a position to suggest an alternative antibiotic.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar